Small Batch, Designer Owned & Ethically Crafted
Product of the Day: Floral Kitchen Towels
Betsy Olmsted draws inspiration from fields near her Lancaster, Pennsylvania, home, then prints her artwork on cotton. Market Floral and End of the Season Guest Towels, $28 each. betsyolmsted.com.
Adding Color: Wonderful Watercolor Wallpapers, Fabrics, Accessories & More
Written by Kim R. Mccormick
I’ve always been impressed by anyone skilled with watercolors because I appreciate the fluidity and lightness the painting method radiates. This selection of home — and even tech — accessories borrow the style in good taste.
1. Pillow cover by Bluebellgray, approximately $113
2. Watercolor wallpaper by Black Crow Studios, contact for pricing
3. Watercolor Smoke Duvet set by Dwell Studio, $190-$360
4. Lattice Shadow Fabric from Spoonflower, $18/yd
5. Friendship Bracelets print by Caitlin McGauley, $85
6. Knit Pillowcase by Julia Kostreva, $68 $
7. Watercolor iPhone Case by Pencil Shavings Studio, $39.99
8. Royal Dalton Dinnerware from Macy’s, pricing varies
9. Myriad Horizons Lampshade from Anthropologie, $98-$118
10. Watercolor Flora Tea Towel by Betsy Olmsted from Terrain, $28
Betsy Olmsted holds an MS in textile print design from Philadelphia University and is currently based in Lancaster, PA. Betsy has designed original prints for York Wallcoverings and Landsend. She has a small line of printed housewares and does commissions for commercial clients, including her current client Anthropologie with whom she is working with on an order for their online store. find Betsy online here at her website or on etsy.
I’ve always had a soft spot for watercolor anything, mostly because when I was an art major in college, I was terrible with watercolors. The things I can’t do well always intrigue me the most, so whenever I see a beautiful, well-executed watercolor detail, I catch myself “ooohh”-ing out loud. These beautiful tea towels at Terrain ($28) were inspired by original paintings by Betsy Olmsted. Each is printed with eco-friendly dyes onto cotton towels that measure roughly 21″ x 14″ and are machine washable. After years of super bold graphic towels, I’m ready to embrace something a little softer, so this might go on my holiday wishlist. Until then, I’ll continue drooling over them here and here.